Important Upcoming Dates:
Please continue to check the school website calendar/twitter for events that are in addition to the following:
Mon, Oct 1 - Orange Shirt Day
Wed, Oct 3 - Terry Fox Run (suggested donation of 2$)
Fri, Oct 5 - P.D. Day (Christian Community Day)
Mon, Oct 8 - Thanksgiving
Wed , Oct 10 - Mass 11:00 (All welcome)
Wed, Oct 17 - School Photos
Please note that info will sent home shortly regarding Scholastic, Raz Kids reading, and Zorbits (math program) if you haven't already received it.
Please continue to check twitter for weekly updates on learning in the classroom. You may also see most K1 classroom tweets (as well as other classroom tweets) via the school homepage.
- Please label all personal belongings, including containers and outerwear. Several students have the same backpacks and lunch containers.
- As fall arrives, please send your child with all necessary outerwear, including splash pants and hats/mittens for chillier days/mornings. Spare mittens may be kept in their bags or cubby in the event that they become wet). You may also wish to send in spare socks. Please label all outerwear.
- Please continue to check mailbags and return daily. Please leave the paper clip with the communication book open as it makes checking books much faster for us. Snuggle Books (starting later on) are returned each Monday.
- Blankets are sent home on Fridays to be washed/returned.
Our Schedule/Flow of the Day:
Forest Schools - Mondays in PM (Starting soon)
Gym - Tuesdays and Fridays
Carpet Time - O'Canada/Prayer
- Book or lesson to guide the day's play or enhance previous learning
Exploration Through Play - Many areas and very-open ended
- Educators extend, challenge and help to consolidate learning
- Whole curriculum addressed
- Inquiries vary from week to week, and are not always whole-group
Open Snack - Students receive reminders and guidance to choose their snacks
Clean-Up/Carpet Time - Shared learning through pictures and discussions often related to morning play
Outdoor play - 30 minutes unstructured play
Lunch (Gr. 6's help Mrs. Q in room, with opening of containers)
Quiet/Rest Time - Students rest with quiet music and low-lighting to rejuvenate their minds and bodies
- Not all students sleep, but must remain quiet
- 30 minutes
Books - Currently whole-group tumble books and eventually independent/partner reading
- Students are learning how to hold books and how to read them, using a variety of skills and strategies
DPA - Movement using videos
Afternoon is a repeat of exploratory play, snack and sharing. Our day ends with Good-bye songs, prayers and the distribution of mailbags. We then prepare for home. Each day is a mixture of English and French which reflects a bilingual home.